Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Daybook, Entry #48 - Happy Thanksgiving Edition!

The Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY
Tuesday, Nov 23, 2010...

Outside my window... 34 degrees. It is pitch black except for the glow of the one street lamp out to the east. And what to see from the little glow from the one street lamp??? Snow... Snow falling fast, wind gently blowing a nearby tree and the shadows of tall lurking evergreen with a heavy dusting of snow. It is gonna be a FUN morning around here!

I am thinking... about my sore throat. I despise sore throats. I already did this horse and pony show back in July. Such is the reason why I woke today at 4:05 am. I couldn't swallow easily, so I hunted down a couple ibuprofen and a hot cup of apple cider. The ibuprofen is starting to help, the hot liquid is helping all the more. Please, oh, please, Lord... let it be post-nasal drip combined with night noise making (snoring, who ME? certainly NOT!!) or that scratchy thing that I swallowed last night at suppertime and not some kind of infection invading my throat.

I am thankful for... the sillyness that is Blossom. She is so full of life and excitement. She helps me open my eyes and see all things in a completely different light. She helps me to sloooooow down and see things her way - from the eyes of a 5 year old. We went to lunch yesterday... the big kids and I, while Bump slept at home while Pops worked there. It was a BUSY BUSY day at our local sidewalk sandwich and ice cream shop. All of the tables were full. We had only three chairs for our four selves. Blossom sat on my lap to eat her sandwich and fries. It was nice to have her there again and to kiss her soft cheeks and to smooth her hair. She is so full of energy and constantly going going going going going - what a treat to be able to have her right there for a bit. And since she can get a little shy when there are lots of people around who she does not know very well... she sat still and calm and just watched everyone and everything going on around us. After the crowd diminished a bit, she was quick to be UP and off to the corner to inspect a poster picturing all of the local high school's cheerleaders! "OOOOooooh, Mama! I love the cheerleaders. Look! Cheerleaders on the wall!!" she hollered for the remaining patrons to hear as well. And later in a quiet moment, she whispered while staring off at a blank wall with a touch of a smile on her lips, "Mama, I wanna have a handsome boy. Like a prince. He should be really handsome. That is who I will marry one day in a beautiful dress, a handsome prince. Don't you think?" OH, this girl!

From the learning rooms... a short week of traditional learning. We will be taking a break like all of the other school kids out there!

From the kitchen...

Tues: hamburgers??
Wed: breakfast - something easy in anticipation of a more elaborate meal for the next day!
Thurs: Turkey, gravy, mashed spuds, whipped sweet potatoes with a sugar pecan crunch top, corn casserole, rolls, jellied cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, pecan pie...
Fri: uh, leftovers
Sat: Roast
Sun: Steaks
Mon: back to the leftovers

I am creating... a child-sized laundry set for pretend play

I am going... to enjoy a lovely week at home with my family and maybe dig out a few games to play!

I am reading... Still working on A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot and Brain Rules by John Medina. I was also reading a book about infant sleep by Dr. Sears.

I am hoping... that Bump's double ear infection responds to a new round of antibiotics (RATS!) and that his bowels ... do not.

I am hearing... waves rolling and crashing to shore (just a white noise machine, don't get all bent out of shape - I am not sitting on the beach, today!), the quiet snoring of dog, the hum of electric heat, the creak of a cooling espresso machine, the hiss of a hot tea kettle, creaking springs as Pops settles on the couch. It is 4:45 am. All little people are sleeping at this hour! OH, MY! The road plow just scraped by on the busy road! I wonder if more snow is accumulating out there! It is coming down pretty good, still and the flakes are BIG! There it goes again the other direction with spinning orange lights. I think Pops should rethink his drive south over the passes today!

Around the house... plans to enjoy a fruitful Advent season are underway.

One of my favorite things... Visiting the coast. Thanksgiving. We were planning to combine the two wonderful things this year since we have no company flying out and we have no plans to fly anywhere to see family... a Pacific Coast Thanksgiving complete with a BIG Turkey Salmon Dinner. But, the weather has come in as the decider. We were hoping that the normal event of cold inland = warm coast and hot inland = cool coast would be in effect. Unfortunately, not this time. The snow is expected to be on the coast this week, too. Drat, curses - plans are foiled. I don't want to go hole up in a chilly hotel on the cold snowy coast to avoid the cold snowy weather at my home. So... we'll just do a traditional feast at home - one of my favorite things!

A few plans for the rest of the week... Baking on Wednesday, Turkey meal on Thursday coupled with too much football for everyone, Shopping on Friday?, sleeping on Saturday

A picture thought I am sharing... I thought about sharing photos of the dark outside with the snow. I will... later! Maybe later today, maybe tomorrow. I took the pictures and I am going back to bed, now. My throat feels fine enough to not disturb my sleep. Picture loading on our ancient internet takes too long. So, enjoy this one of Branch from the little dusting of snow over the weekend, for now!! :)

Photobucket

Our pretty little snowbunny!

To read more daybooks or to join in the fun, head over to Peggy's.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I don't know what you are looking for with regards to postcards but we live in IL and would be willing to send you something, if we can. Just let me know. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she is a pretty snowbunny! Sorry your plans for Turkey Day were changed but being home was sounding lovely in your description!! Enjoy your feast! So much to be thankful for....God is good. Love, G.

    PS Hope you feel better when you get up!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely day book....and beautiful children...hope you feel better soon as well as the wee one...I went back to bed this morning and slept another hour...now I feel like crap...
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for jumping in and leaving your thoughts!!

I sure like to know who enjoys playing around the treehouse!