Thursday, February 25, 2010

Tasty Treat Thursday

Apparently, marshmallow fluff isn't "for everyone" but who - tell me - WHO can really resist a real honest to goodness camp out s'more?? And if you say it is YOU... well, you haven't had a good one. That's all I can say about that! Toasted marshmallows... mmmmm!

The monkeys around here LOVE s'mores and they love marshmallows cold (or as Blossom calls it... rotten meshellows) - they love 'em any which way! We have gone back to regular snack times around here with one in the morning (usually fruit and cheese or yogurt) and one in the afternoon (usually popcorn, crackers or something sweet!) and the days are going more smoothly.

Anyway, one day I had a brilliant idea - that everyone else probably already does!! (But, I never had anything like this growing up... might have SOMETHING to do with my mom thinking marshmallows are disgusting!!) So, Blossom was asking for a bowl of marshmallows EVERY day... for morning and afternoon snack. Finally, I decided to give in, but in a different way... I had some left over chocolate frosting, a box of graham crackers and a half a bag of mini marshmallows. Blossom has done a lot of helping in the kitchen lately with simple snacks and this was no exception.

Photobucket

I spread the frosting on the graham crackers and turned the oven on to broil. She put marshmallows on the crackers taking special care on the first cracker... but not quite so much on the others as we turned the pan around for the last two!

Photobucket

Then I popped them in the oven under the broiler for several minutes until the marshmallows were roasty toasty brown and the frosting was oozing off the cracker just a little bit.

Photobucket

Finally, I drizzled a bit of the left over frosting over the tops... just for pretty!

Photobucket

Blossom was excited to serve "her" treat to her siblings...

Photobucket

and they were excited to receive a treat!!

Photobucket

What did my little chef/food critic think???

Photobucket

SUCCESS! She loved it!

Photobucket

On a side note... we tried it again with just a jar of chocolate frosting and it was a bit messier! So, the homemade frosting that you make in a pan works best... but it isn't a make or break deal!

4 comments:

  1. Not for ME!!! But it was fun seeing Blossom making a special treat to share. And all enjoying that treat! Good idea, ELM. Love, G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so yummy!!! I will have to keep them in mind for "Ss" Week. :o)

    I miss you guys!! Please tell you mom thanks for the cute gifts for the baby! That was so sweet of her. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no clue how to make homemade frosting but i have to agree with geemah on this one too, ick
    r

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great snack for "s" week! Oh lol, I should read the other comments up there first. Guess Jessica and I are on the same track of thought, lol. And homemade frosting id the bomb. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for jumping in and leaving your thoughts!!

I sure like to know who enjoys playing around the treehouse!