Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Daybook, Entry #22


The Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY
Tuesday, February 23, 2010...

Outside my window... It is just starting to get light. Overcast, 45 degrees. Rain is in the forecast for today. (I'm betting on sun this afternoon!)

I am thinking... about this year's lenten season
"Lent: the period preceding Easter that in the Christian Church is devoted to fasting, abstinence and penitence in commemoration of Christ's fasting in the wilderness. In the Western Church it runs from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday" - Oxford American Dictionary

I am doing several things during the lenten season this year, one of note to those who read here and wonder if/when I plan to hop over and check out your blog... after Easter sometime! I am trying very hard (and struggling at times) to limit my computer time and certainly my "blogging time." So, I continue to write here on mine to keep going a journal of our family's life, I am reading very few "old" blogs who I have been reading for quite a while and not adding any new ones to the list. It is VERY hard!! I might go take a look at a friends' newest news and there is a link to another page (that they don't fully describe even - so the curiosity is high!) and I make the choice to skip the click and not get lost in the blogosphere and the world wide web! It has been challenging for the last week... BUT, here is what I have found so far: I have more time for the "decluttering" that I have been doing to give away our excesses in order to help others. I have spent more time playing with the kids - I sat outside and colored a Hello Kitty house with Branch the other day! I have more patience to deal with the little nuances of mothering. I do not feel so tied to the ding of my computer telling me there is a new message - I still hear it and I am curious, but I don't rush over to see who is in essence knocking on the door of my screen! Basically, by limiting my computer time in general, and blog hopping specifically, I find more time to do what is important for my whole family. I wonder what ELSE I might learn before Easter!!! After Easter I hope to follow links and such in a more moderate way... and hope that this exercise in self-control will have taught me to continue to limit myself and not get sucked into the black hole of the internet - it's just like Wal-Mart... you go in for 1 or 2 things and come out wondering "how did that happen" when your cart is half full!

I am thankful for... cell phones. It is nice to be able to call Pops when he is out and about!

From the learning rooms... We had a great week last week and are well on our way this week! I am still working out the kinks of a new assignment "system" that has been working very well for the treekids!

From the kitchen... it appears that Pops got up early to eat breakfast and while at it... made a pot of chili!! Wooo Hooo!!! Pops' chili is VERY tasty! Perhaps I will make some cinnamon rolls to accompany that for tonight - might be a delicious "side" - wondering what else other people have with chili besides cornbread! I NEED to get back in the habit of laying out our meal plan, here, too. I know it was enjoyed by many - including a spaced out me! Uh, NEXT WEEK - I'll lay out a plan!! This week - winging it!

I am wearing... An olive green knit shirt, a black tiered skirt and MAKE-UP! I was up without any kids at 6:40 and got dressed, brushed my hair and teeth and put on some make-up!

I am creating... a few gifts that I will share pictures of after I send them off.

I am going... to go to the library this week - we need to return books!

I am reading... less as I focus on other things this week.

I am hoping... that Pops remembers to call the veterinary opthamologist for Bark. Her poor eye is not doing well. She must not be able to see out of it very well at all. She can no longer catch a treat if I toss it to her, she has no depth perception and also runs into things around the house.

I am hearing... the girls waking and making noise-a-plenty!

Around the house... last week's boxes of "stuff" have been dropped off... new boxes are being filled and are ready to label and then be dropped off later this week.

One of my favorite things... silly little girl dances!

A few plans for the rest of the week... library, field trip at the end of the week with a homeschool group, more decluttering the house, a trip to some thrift stores to hopefully find a little ditty to repurpose for a special little girls' birthday who is coming up next month (I gotta hurry!)

Here is a picture thought I am sharing...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Aren't hummingbirds just SOO amazing to watch! The speed of their wings is just amazing. We have a book all about the hummingbird and reading about it makes the little critter even all the more amazing! This feeder (filled with orange sugar syrup this month - whoever is around chooses the color - Bud picked orange in hopes that the coloring would brighten up a bit. Like a flamingo eating shrimp, perhaps??) hangs outside the window of our laundry room. Something pretty to watch and hope for while pre-treating!

To read more daybooks or to join in the fun, head over to Peggy's.

1 comment:

Thanks for jumping in and leaving your thoughts!!

I sure like to know who enjoys playing around the treehouse!