Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Two for One

I really was planning to make a lovely post yesterday. But, I got a little bit sidetracked with my sewing machine and Branch. We played around and in the end decided on making a baby doll dress. This dress was made for her bigger (around) baby baby doll, not one of these more grown up looking dolls! But, it seems it works out for both!!
Photobucket
So, this happy girl played and had a great time with her doll dress (and the bloomers as well!) and I enjoyed working on a sewing machine again - after a year or more of no sewing!!
Photobucket
I do not like the machine I was working on, though. I bought it 8 or 9 years ago and it was a cheap Singer sewing machine. My good ol' faithful machine acquired a fair amount of trouble in our move (since the movers didn't put it in a box... note to self - never ever ever let any moving company take any of your items out of the home and into their possession without them being in a box!). It is an old machine. It was my mom's trusty companion when I was a child. Now, I will have it cleaned and reconditioned and see if it will still work ok - and then maybe my Branch can enjoy working on it. I, will be looking for a new machine... any of you sewing people out there have a machine to recommend?? I want to be able to change the tension, stitch length, the amount of pressure that the presser foot exerts on the fabric and feed dogs, straight and zig zag stitches, bobbin winder, I would like the spool of thread to sit vertically on the machine - EASILY. I want to not have to work hard to change these things. I would like a few extra stitches, but they aren't necessary. OK - any suggestions?

As for that post I was working on yesterday... here it is!

Sunday was Super Bowl Sunday!! We like to make plenty of bowls filled with super food! So, Here's what we enjoyed all afternoon and into the evening:

Photobucket
Fresh Strawberries and Purple Grapes

Photobucket
Celery and Carrots

Photobucket
Homemade Salsa

Photobucket
Homemade Pico de Gallo

Photobucket
Homemade Guacamole

Photobucket
Bacon-Wrapped Cream Cheese- Stuffed Jalepeno Poppers

Photobucket
Delicious Barbecued Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts

Photobucket
Seasoned Steak Bites

It was a delicious day. I think that there was a football game on. I am certain that there was a Madonna performance. But, really? I liked the commercial for shoes where the puggish looking dog outran all the greyhounds... TOO CUTE! Chevy showed up with many great ads, too. I also like the Clint Eastwood/Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler ad, too. That was a classy ad. Did you watch?

3 comments:

  1. I have a computerized husqvarna that i absolutely love! I had an old singer model and when I first sewed on my husqvarna it was so smooth - truly the caddy of sewing machines!

    Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was over at Shower of Roses filching (ha ha) ideas for our Little Flowers meeting (Friday; I teach) and saw a picture of Branch, smiled, and thought I'd come here to "visit." I haven't been in a long time! Too long! Your kids are getting soooo big!

    Since you asked ... I have a Janome Sewist 500 that I LOVE. It's easy enough to use but has a lot of good features. I got it at Husker Sew & Vac about a year and a half ago. I think I gave $300 or so for it. It was worth every penny. :) As much sewing as you do, it might be worth a purchase from a specialty store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to see you are finally able to resume your sewing, especially since you enjoy it so much & are so very talented. :) The doll dress turned out so cute. And wish I had been at your house for the Super Bowl in order to sample those mouth-watering, delectable looking snacks you made! Cooking is something else you definitely excel at! And those photographs are cooking magazine worthy!
    Love,
    Aunt S.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for jumping in and leaving your thoughts!!

I sure like to know who enjoys playing around the treehouse!