Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thunder Eggs

Bud has wanted to dig for Thunder Eggs since... I don't know. Seems like FOREVER. So, for his birthday, we gave him a pair of gloves, a small shovel and a piece of paper that talked about digging for Thunder Eggs.

Photobucket

I think that he got the idea that we were going digging!
Photobucket

Thunder Eggs are the "state rock" of Oregon.
Photobucket

You have to work to get them chipped out of the ground with a pick axe (one should wear protective eyewear, but mom's sunglasses will work in a pinch!)
Photobucket

We went to a "fee site" where there were dig areas that were regularly excavated and turned so that you didn't have to dig so long to locate a precious "gem." (I could NOT resist the pun. Sorry for that.)
Photobucket

Bud gets his rockhound blood honestly... he didn't fall too far from the tree!
Photobucket

Some people just like the "ting ting ting ting" the pick ax makes on agate.
Photobucket

EVERYONE. I repeat - EVERYONE wanted in on the action!!!
Photobucket

It was time to head out and Pops dealt the ultimate blow... ONLY 3 Thunder Eggs per person to take home (we had filled 2 large blue buckets FULL).
Photobucket

This story will continue with some pictures of what the haul turned out in the end. Stay Tuned! (I have to take everyone's pictures with their precious items!!)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love love love breaking those puppies open with my rock hammers. I have two rock hammers. One is named Thor (the god of thunder) and the other is named Marianne. I think that we will all get along just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for jumping in and leaving your thoughts!!

I sure like to know who enjoys playing around the treehouse!